My passion is helping people in the south Austin area work through the daily struggles of their life-- whether it’s relationship issues, personal problems or external difficulties. I have a Masters of Education in Educational Psychology and am a Licensed Professional Counselor in Texas. I also have teacher certification. Counseling for over 20 years, I have extensive experience working with individual adults, adolescents, children, families and couples in a variety of settings including private practice, community mental health agency, therapeutic foster care, residential treatment center, schools, homes and human service agencies.
- parenting issues
- communication and conflict resolution skills
- grief/ loss
- career development
- life transitions
- family systems
- abuse recovery
- relationship issues
- aging issues
- eating disorders/body image
- spiritual issues
My focus in counseling begins with the development of an egalitarian relationship with my client, including the cooperative development of goals at the outset of treatment. I do not consider myself an expert who can direct or advise clients, but rather a trained counselor who may facilitate change. My role as a counselor is therefore, as a facilitator as opposed to a director. I look to explore and evaluate the client’s lifestyle, choices, and goals with the objective of identifying possible mistaken beliefs, and to assist the client to reevaluate and develop insight. This will include a greater degree of self-understanding by the client and may lead to the desired behavior change.
As a Christian counselor, I also believe that people are made up of body, soul and spirit and that a personal relationship with God is integral to well being. As such, I take a holistic approach by keeping in mind issues of physiology, psychology and spirituality. I will discuss spiritual matters when appropriate, but with the full consent and knowledge of my clients. I am a genuine, compassionate, and understanding person who truly enjoys working with people and helping them find a sense of balance and purpose and most importantly, real peace.
- Bachelor of Arts– University of Texas at Austin
- Texas Secondary Teacher certification – University of Texas at Arlington
- Master in Educational Psychology - Texas A&M University at College Station
- American Counseling Association – Professional Member
- Texas Hill Country Counselors Association
- Christian Counselors of Texas –
- Hill Country Association of Play Therapists - Austin Chapter
- Licensed Professional Counselor – Texas State Board of Examiners for Professional Counselors. License # 14629